Sunday, May 2, 2010

Abstraction and the Human Figure


What I love about abstraction is that it tells the story that only visual art can tell. Abstraction creates the basis, in my mind, for the difference between that which is "art" and that which documents the appearance of a particular time and place. This applies equally well to photography as to sketching and painting.

The deliberate use of abstraction creates feeling. I may or may not be able to describe what I feel, but the point is moot because the feeling is represented in the work. Combine that with the most meaningful image that the human eye can register (that being another human form), and you have the basis for powerful art that does not lend itself well to deconstruction. This painting, "Splash", is a good example. It just "is". You either like it or you don't.

I like it.

"Splash", 20"x16" acrylics and charcoal on canvas. SOLD.

No comments:

Post a Comment