Monday, June 6, 2011

Why I Paint


There is an aspect of my art that I must consider to be at or near its core, despite the irregular intervals in which I practice it. But my first painting, and most of my first year of painting, were dominated by portraiture. From the beginning I was very focused on using my skills to capture the character, or the essence, of the subject.

I was reminded of this as I viewed a new work, "Dutch Friend." The subject is Annette, a traveling houseguest of my friend Marty Hatcher. She came to Houston from Holland to attend a family member's wedding, and I had the good fortune to meet her while painting at Marty's. Annette is an accomplished artist (fashion and jewelry design) and a charming person to share time with.

I do love people... and I love painting them. That was my first love with a paint brush in my hand, and I expect I'll always be true to it. It has thus far been surprisingly, steadily true to me.

"Dutch Friend" - 15"x10" oils on canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment