Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Good Day for Life-Drawing


I overslept Saturday morning... got out of bed slowly, lingered over coffee, and generally procrastinated enough to arrive an hour late to the weekly drawing group I participate in. I missed all the 'short poses,' two- to five-minute warm ups that are supposed to get the brain into proper working order for the longer poses which follow.

Basically I sketched and painted two 45-minute poses, and I am perfectly happy to have done only that. It was a day when my "artist" operating software was working properly. There are days when it doesn't, which is why I don't do a whole lot of demonstrations.

Every artist has tools they rely on to achieve personal goals for their work, as do I. The cool thing (or perhaps the 'problem' if you choose to see it that way) is that I have no idea what my tools are. I approach art with 15% cognitive knowledge (e.g. 'training') and 85% intuition, which includes drawing method, color usage, emotional content, and the kitchen sink.

That suits me fine when I can have the occasional day like this. :-)

Pictured: "Garden 1" (vertical) and "Garden 2" (horiz.), 24" x 18" charcoal sketches with liquid acrylics on watercolor paper. Available for $50 each or both for $80.

1 comment: